Richard E. Baker is an independent management consultant who specializes in improving productivity, quality and margins. Mr. Baker has an internal and external consulting background combined with hands-on experience in managing people, processes, technology and budgets in financial services, manufacturing, telecommunications, higher education and R&D environments. His skills and disciplines include:
- Redesign business processes to improve throughput, reduce waste, improve margins, retain clients
- Analyze operations to determine how technology could reduce cost and improve service levels
- Improve productivity, quality, customer service, client retention
- Conduct activity-based costing studies
- Develop and implement cost reduction programs
- Build staffing models to justify headcount and overtime
- Manage projects
A sampling of Mr. Baker’s accomplishments includes:
- Fidelity Investments – achieved $4.5 million in cost reduction through business process redesign, automation, outsourcing and the establishment of metrics.
- Boston Financial Data Services – reduced staff 21% (95 FTEs); reduced financial transaction errors by 40%; increased revenue 28%; decreased costs by $3.3 million.
- Fidelity Investments – redesigned firm-wide Brokerage and Mutual Fund new account processes and identified $3.1 million in cost reduction opportunities; consolidated Boston and Dallas Bond & Money Market operations; quantified over $10 million in cost savings by migrating 10% of customers from paper-based to electronic-based communications.
- Coopers & Lybrand, LLP – Identified $13.5 million in savings for clients: reengineered Putnam Investments mail and microfilm operations prior to applying imaging technology; realigned AT&T’s Microelectronics Power Supply manufacturing plant into 4 just-in-time focused factories; redesigned Paul Revere Insurance business processes; managed strategic assessment of Boston Properties.
- Lear Siegler Inc. – managed productivity, quality and employee involvement programs for this $2.5 billion conglomerate; realized $25 million in net savings in 3 years.
Education – B.A. in Business Administration from Whittier College.
Honors – U.S. Senate Productivity Award for California; recognized as a finalist in 1986.